9.24.2006

Better Than Your Mom's

Bat Out of Hell has always been an album I wanted to discover. I don't know what took me so long. At first, I thought Meatloaf was a novelty. "I Would Do Anything For Love" was a big hit when I was just starting to listen to music. I remember watching the music video as a kid and just being confused at the sight of this big fat guy in a flowing white shirt singing with the force of God, as though the world was about to end.

While he's always been on my radar, it was only until I read a passage about "Paradise on the Dashboard Light" in Chuck Klosterman's Sex Drugs and Coco Puffs, that I was compelled to investigate. I can't remember exactly how he sold me, but whatever Klosterman said was enough to set my mind. It's strange how that happens.

It was satisfying to actually buy the album instead of downloading it. I find that's the case with a lot of older music. While the new album art feature in iTunes is indeed diggidy-dope, it still doesn't replace the tangible quality of holding something in your hands.

The album itself is amazing, as I'm sure millions and millions of people already know. But god-damn if it isn't rewarding to discover stuff like this with your own exploration. The opening piano chords on the title track are some of the hardest rocking ever. Gotta hand it to Jim Steinman, the man knows how to rock your nuts off. Meat ain't too bad, either.